So you want to move abroad but you’re not sure if this is a strategic professional goal and how this will improve your skills? The benefits are endless, but here is a list of just a few of the most important reasons why you should not hesitate.
1. Improve language skills or learn a new language. Living abroad is the best way to become fluent in a language and to practice what you learned in the classroom, or learn a new language you have not yet explored.
2. Gain independence. Learn how to do things by yourself and make personal decisions on a daily basis, and discover what’s important to you in the process.
3. Experience a new culture and way of life. Explore how other cultures and how they live and think. This can open your eyes to different ways to approach and handle situations and can increase your analytical thinking skills.
4. Make professional and personal global relationships. Networking is important at the national scale but building global connections is great as well.
5. Travel and get paid. What more could you want?! You can travel around another country and while still getting an income.
6. Standout from the rest of the crowd. Having international work experience is a great extra boost on your resume that can make you standout from others competing for the same job.
7. Learn how to adapt and be flexible. This is also a great bonus for your professional skills. Employers want to hire people who can easily adapt to new environments, situations, and change.